Hidden Destiny

Monday, December 04, 2006

Cindy Woodsmall Book Signing

I've had three book signings thus far. The first two were on the same day and my editor, Shannon Hill, flew in from Colorado and two AMAZING writers, Rene Gutteridge and Eric Wilson, were signing also. Between signings, Shannon bought our lunch and we all talked shop for over an hour. That had to be the most idyllic way possible to experience a first book signing.

Then, a month later, for my next book signing I was blessed to sign books next to Shannon and Greg Ethridge, non-fiction authors of Every Woman's Marriage. Before I met them I had a few questions to ask Shannon and the lulls in the signing line gave us time to chat. A person can't spend time with Shannon Ethridge without coming away with a new perspective on relationships.

For this next signing, I'll be by myself.

Okay, that's a bit daunting (a bit?).

I’m slated to do a reading.

A reading? Aloud?

Let’s visualize this: I’m inside Borders fifteen days before Christmas. Shoppers are dispersed throughout the isles and they are on a mission—to find a specific gift. They’re a bit stressed, confused, and tired. A voice will rattle through the intercom, announcing my name and the title of my debut novel. Customers will glance up from whatever books, CDs, or related items they’re looking at, catch the eye of the person nearest them. One will say, “who?” The other will shrug and both will continue their shopping. In the meantime I’ll begin reading . . . out loud . . . to myself . . . while a few shoppers peep around the endcap of their isle, thinking, “who?”

You know, the moment I heard that my first by-myself book signing included a “reading,” an image flashed before me of men and women at the publishing house sitting behind closed-door meetings, brainstorming on what can be done to torment newbie authors:-o)

Okay, that’s an unfair image, but it flashed before me anyway.

Truth is, my publishing house has been incredible. Every department labored really hard. And their generous effort has caused When the Heart Cries to be on December’s CBA Best-seller List for fiction. Wow. And thank you.


BOOK SIGNING:

WHERE: BORDERS
Mall of Georgia Crossing
678-482-0872

WHEN: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2006
2 to 4 P.M.

Why Show Up:

1. There’s an author-designed gift basket that you can sign up for. The price? Acting like you’re listening as I read aloud to YOU while everyone else wonders who I am, what I'm doing, and why you’re actually standing there, listening.

2. You feel sorry for said author

3. You don’t feel the least bit sorry for said author, but need a good laugh and this should be good for a laugh

4. You’re an aspiring author and need lessons in what tortures to prepare for

5. You need embarrassing-moments fodder for YOUR book

6. It’s the season when you need to do one good deed to get off that naughty list

7. It’s the season that no matter where you go, you need to buy something & check someone off your list —so why not?

8. You love chocolate and said author will have designer chocolates from Hansel & Gretel of Helen, GA

9. You know said author is the treasurer for local ACFW/WORD and you figure since your dues are probably helping to pay for said chocolates, you might as well show up and indulge

10. You know said author is the treasurer for local ACFW/WORD and you figure since your dues DON’T go to that local group, you should show up and indulge

Peace,

Cindy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home